Monday, September 26

Nutritional Information: Apple Soup

My original findings started out like this:

Number of Servings: 6 (28.71 ounces per serving). Weight: 172.28 ounces.
So, no, that's not a serving, and no, my results below won't reflect so much food. I will scale it to 12 servings, and you can serve yourself as you'd like.


Serving size: 14.355 ounces (8 ounces is in a cup, so nearly 2 cups.)
Calories: 222.31
Calories from Fat: 95.96
Fat in grams: 10.66
Saturated fat in grams: 4.125
Trans fatty acids in grams: 0.145
Cholesterol in miligrams: 23.485
Carbs in grams: 27.48
Dietary fiber: 4.365
Sugars in grams: 16.79
Protein in grams: 6.405
Vitamin A - IU: 2826.67
Vitamin C in miligrams: 52.46
Sodium (salt) in miligrams: 289.205
Calcium in miligrams: 39.235
Iron in miligrams: 1.085


Obviously, if I ever redo this, it'll be in an attempt to lower sodium. Hopefully, in lowering that I can lower the calories a little, but that isn't bad for a serving of nearly two cups of soup (I think we consumed, at a fast rate, 3-4 cups per serving. It's pretty addicting. Also, in my recipe, I misread some things while cooking and added about 1.5 pints of heavy cream, which isn't anywhere near the recipe. It left us with a bit more soup than what I should have yielded. Ha. It was good though! But not recommended, if you're feeling healthy.)
The carbs would be hard to lower due to the apples, so good luck getting me to pull that off.

There's nothing in this recipe that's inherently evil other than the salt content. I did not have the ability to use the product I'd bought from the store, which is probably to blame for the high sodium content. I recommend a very low sodium chicken broth, unless you want to make your own sometime. Everything else is fresh product and olive oil (see my previous post on my rant about olive oil). Bell peppers are probably the lead source of the vitamins listed; apples are good for helping to balance blood sugar, especially when cooked in something that isn't sugar (see what I did there?); I couldn't be beyond saying to use skim milk over the heavy cream, so long as you don't use as much (it's super thin and will just make the soup even more runny.)

I can't find a thing to change except for the stock and the cream, and the cream is optional. I'll see what I can do about finding a more accurate result, but what I found isn't awful. You all can now make this soup without feeling any guilt. Cook -- FEAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment