Wednesday, December 7

Hot and Sour Soup

From the left and around: Heather, Logan, Kevin's head, the top of Kyle's head, Eric, most of Dave Y's head, Sage's bald boyfriend, the top of Sage's head, Danny; DB is in the center.
I know my own mother wanted this recipe and I feel bad I haven't been able to get to it until right now. I had exams again this week, and finals next week, so I'm a bit sporadic with what happens when.
DB's shoulder, Danny, Sage, Sage's BF, and DY

I also had a couple more people than usual (and by a couple, I mean 4). I did definitely alter the recipe just because I couldn't find cloud ear mushrooms; I added a bunch of white-cap mushrooms from the store instead, thanks to Logan and Kyle's willingness to pick up what I tend to forget.

I also didn't add any salt. I used stock from Thanksgiving turkey when I boiled the bones, so I didn't use a traditional Asian stock. I would recommend a more traditional stock: it's thinner, and it just goes with it. I did thin down the stock I used a bit, and I think it could have used celery seed. No matter. On to the recipe!!
DB, Logan, Kevin, Kyle's shooting at me, Eric,
and the BF'n'Danny's heads





Serves 4 (we'll see; have you ever truly been full from hot and sour?)

1/4 ounce dried cloud ears
8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
3 ounces firm tofu (it'll say firm for those that didn't know anything about tofu... Like me.)
1/2 cup sliced and drained canned bamboo shoots (or freshly cooked shoots)
3 3/4's cups veggie stock (Asian stock)
1 tb sugar (not sure how much this actually helps)
3 tb rice vinegar
1 tb light soy sauce
1/4 ts chili oil
1/2 ts salt
a large pinch of freshly ground white pepper
Center to right:
Back of the boyfriend's head, DY, Eric and Kyle.
1 tb cornstarch
1 tb cold water
1 egg white
1 ts sesame oil
2 scallions, cut into rings for garnish

1: Soak the cloud ears in warm water for 30 min, or until they're soft and tender. Drain; trim off the hard base from each and chop them up roughly.
2: Remove and discard the stems from the shiitake (I didn't, it's not such a big deal either way). Cut up the caps into thin strips. Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes, and shred the bamboo shoots. Stick all of the mushrooms, tofu, and bamboo in a large saucepan with the stock. Bring it all to a boil, then let it simmer for about five minutes.
3: Stir in the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, chili oil, and salt'n'pepper. Stir in the cornstarch with the cold water, then add the mix to the soup and stir until it thickens slightly.


4: Lightly beat the egg white, then pour into the soup at a steady stream while stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until the egg white changes color.
5: Add the sesame oil just before serving. Ladle into warm bowls and garnish each portion with the scallion rings.
Heather, Logan, the side of Kevin's head and the
back of DB's head

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! I LOVED this soup!!! This was my first time ever eating a Mel-made (i.e. well-made) soup from Mel and I highly recommend it!!! P.S. the pics posted along with the recipe show a very large and content gang of eaters. Thank you, Mel!!! =)

    ReplyDelete