Tuesday, November 8

Analysis: Spontaneous Soup

  • Flavor
  • Texture
  • Cooking ease
  • Price
  • Estimated healthiness
  • Creativity of the recipe
  • Completeness 
Out of 70 points.

I know, I know, it wasn't a REAL soup -- I didn't post a REAL recipe or tell people I spent hours picking it from a book of hundreds. But you know what? It was yummy, so shut up.

Flavor: 9.5/10. I love potato-type soups. Squash, potatoes, etc., all have a texture I really enjoy. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a squish-only type of person. But this one really hit the spot when I had a craving, and it left me with some meal options for later which was a plus. I enjoyed this every time I cracked it open. I know this isn't the texture section, but that leads in: if it tastes like potatoes and squash but doesn't FEEL like potatoes and squash, then we have a problem. The flavor grade wouldn't be so high if what was going on didn't match what it actually did. Does that make sense? It tasted like it was meant to, to be clear.

Texture: 10/10. I said it before, the texture hit the spot for me. I doubt I'd change this around if I made it a staple recipe for my kitchen.

Cooking ease: 9.5/10: I didn't make this because I was feeling difficult. I was hungry, and I wanted food ASAP. I wasn't going to roast, marinate or otherwise take more time than was needed. You don't necessarily have to to achieve a tasty product -- or a healthy one.

Price: 10/10 I think I spent about twenty-five dollars, if that, according to the post where I put up the recipe and ranted about spontaneity. I had a FULL pot, lending about maybe 20 servings give or take for 25 dollars. Go out and buy soup that costs 80 cents and see how much you like it.

Estimated healthiness: 9.5/10. I didn't add any cream, but the salt content still bothers me. I think, when I go for round two, I'll make my own stock ahead of time and freeze it. When I go to make a soup, I'll know that I didn't add any salt to the stock. Salt is a misnomer: people think they need it for flavor, but when you wean yourself off of it you realize you don't want it. Average items then become a bit disgusting after a while because of how obsessed with salt everyone seems to be. So, guys, lose the salt, your body will thank you.

Creativity: 8.5/10. I can toot my own horn for a while, but, really, all I did was buy every veggie I liked for that day and stick it in some hot meat-juices. So, honestly, it wasn't too creative. Spontaneous -- yes! But chopping up some crap you dug up doesn't make you creative, it makes your forearm more muscly. There's a difference.

Completeness: 10/10. I literally couldn't fill it with anything else. Everyone loved it. We ate the heck out of it. It really went a long way for us, and it was good even upon reheating. Do keep in mind that a very full pot of soup might get us through two weeks; I tend to have a serving twice a week apart from Sundays. At the price it's at (and the fact I charge my room mates for their share of the food for the month), I don't really keep it around long as it is. This one went faster than some of the others, which tends to tell me that maybe I did something right. I can't think of how I'd change it, anyway.

Grade: 9.571/10, so a high A. Of 'course I'll grade it high -- I made it up! But, case in point, you should be able to be proud of yourselves, so don't let my ego get in the way. Trust me, I still think something you've made up would be fantastic if you just let yourself go and do it. You think I thought about how much I might screw it up? Never even crossed my mind. Screw it up, psh.. Since when do I mess up?

No comments:

Post a Comment