Tuesday, November 8

Analysis: Indian Beef and Berry

  • Flavor
  • Texture
  • Cooking ease
  • Price
  • Estimated healthiness
  • Creativity of the recipe
  • Completeness 
Out of 70 points.

Flavor: 9.8/10. I did it: I put something other than .0 or .5. Why? Because it was..well, it's amazingly good, but it's weird. It's really weird. Not as in, "I'm not sure I could eat that!" weird, but more like, "my tongue doesn't know how to translate this.." weird. I recommend it to expand your dietary-and-tasteful horizons. It's certainly not bad by any means!

Texture: 9/10. It goes onto the tongue well and the fats from the beef make it nice and smooth; the berries are soft and compliant by the time you get to them, but that's offset by the resistance the meat gives when you bite into it. It's all very balanced (I'd remove some salt, but you guys know me and salt by now).

Cooking ease: 9.5/10. You brown beef. You add things. You cook. This isn't rocket science, guys, and it comes out very well. If you're a habitual cook -- just know how things go and when and where -- it may throw you off to add berries to something other than a dessert or alcoholic beverage. I found myself confused about lightly squishing them to add to a soup, and it gives it a weird color. If you can get past that, you're in the clear.

Price: 9/10. Meat's going up. I'm trying to avoid it for multiple reasons -- none of them are largely due to humanitarian reasons, but they're somewhere in there in the scheme of things. The amount of protein one takes in a day, on average, can be multiple times more than one needs. We're oversaturated with it, and a lot of people think it's good because it offsets carb. intake. I could go on, but, really, this soup is a meal in itself, and so, really, the price isn't so bad. Have some bread with it (omgcarbs!") and enjoy yourself.

Estimated healthiness: 9/10. I don't really advocate the eating of beef for health reasons as much as I would fish and chicken, but there's balances to everything and I understand that. There's this whole agricultural and logical and humanitarian side to the meat and veggie issue, and that's your decision. But I still vote for the weak link to colon cancer due to eating animal meats; try to replace that with some veggies or the occasional granola bar or something. This soup, for me, would be my beef for the week. You heard me.

Creativity: 10/10. Someone pulled off a recipe called 'Indian beef and berry.' Let's look at that again and knock off some useless words, shall we? INDIAN BEEF. I know, I know, it's racist to say that an Indian would never eat beef, but you shut up. It's not common, still, and it goes against the American view of the Indian diet. I'm just sayin', it's bold; adding berries makes it creative. It's impressive and I'm glad I chose it.

Completeness: 9/10. I feel like Indian Beef and Berry needs to have some space filled up with something like little green onions, garlic, or tofu, or something. I love the texture of tofu, by the way, which is why I mention it sometimes. The flavor means nothing to me. But you see what I'm getting at. It's beef and berries and liquid. I like more complicated soups, myself, but if you're into the see-through deal that a lot of Asian soups really embrace, then this is definitely in your zone.

65.3/70 is a mid-range A, which definitely reflects how I feel about the soup. I would give it a shot sometime, especially if you come across a thing of beef you're just not sure you know what to do with. If you're tired of the norm, then get on it and try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment