Sunday, October 2

Roasted Red Pepper

Sometimes, my recipe book (The Soup Bible, by Debra Mayhew) has its own description of the soup just above the ingredients. I don't usually include it, because I am here to say what I want to say, not what the editor threw in. In this case, however, it's probably much more accurately written than I can pull off:
Broiling intensifies the flavor of sweet red and yellow bell peppers and helps preserve the stunning color of this delicious soup.

I'm all about colors in foods. For instance, given the chance, people will largely turn down blue foods. Why? Because there's only something like 2-4 naturally occurring blue fruits and things in the world ( see this for some psychology on food colors ). I'm not cooking a blue soup right now, but I'm willing to in the future. I'd love to see how much of it the guys will actually eat.

Anyway, on to the soup!!

It says it serves 4. I'm going to post my alterations to it after I alter it, specifically because that wouldn't nearly be enough to feed 8 people. I mean, unless it's like the Apple Soup and completely lies to me.

Ingredients
3 red bell peppers
1 yellow bell pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
Salt and pepper
Diced red and yellow peppers for garnish

1: Heat the broiler. Cut the peppers in half and remove the stems, cores, pith and seeds. Line a broiler pan with the peppers, skin side up, on a single layer on the foil. Broil until the skins are black and blistered.
2: Transfer the peppers to a plastic bag and leave until cool. Peel off the skins (I'm not) and discard. Roughly chop what remains.
3: Put the onion, garlic, and 2/3 cup of the stock in a large saucepan. Boil for about five minutes until the stock reduces in volume. Lower the heat and stir until the onion and garlic are soft and just beginning to color.
4: Sprinkle the flour over the onion. Gradually stir in the remaining stock. Add the chopped roast peppers and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer for five more minutes.
5: Leave the soup to cool slightly, then puree in a food processor (stick blender) until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Return it to the pan (makes the stick blender look a lot more convenient, doesn't it?) and reheat until piping hot.
6: Ladle into four soup bowls and garnish each with a sprinkling of diced peppers.*

*If you prefer, garnish the soup with a swirl of plain yogurt instead of diced peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment