Sunday, October 30

Recipe: Thai Chicken and Noodle

I loosely followed a recipe Kevin wanted -- he doesn't like coconut though, and to those that like coconut it's that which makes the soup.

My ingredients were as follows:


  • 5 chicken thighs
  • 4 garlic cloves (we love garlic)
  • About a tablespoon and a half of cayenne powder
  • About a tablespoon of powdered tumeric
  • A couple/few chile-type peppers of choice (to keep up with your preference of heat; I used garden ones, myself)
  • 8 cups of chicken broth (hot)
  • About 3 cups of water
  • Roughly 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • A bunch of fresh cilantro
  • A box of noodles (I used a whole box of spaghetti noodles)
  • About a quarter cup, or more, of coconut 
  • A cup of green onion or scallions
  • A huge squirt of lemon juice, to taste (or lime if you want)
  • Thyme leaves
  • 4 big fork fulls of crunchy peanut butter (I'm NOT measuring peanut butter.. it's not worth it)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup of shredded carrot
  • 1-1and1/4 cup cream coconut (I didn't have this available today.)


1. Heat half your oil in a frying pan, if you're like me and you have all your chicken frozen. Put the frying pan on medium or so, add the chicken and let it simmer with the lid. Chop things up in the process.
2. When the chicken is about cooked, add as much thyme as you'd like. I was liberal; I have a lot of thyme left over. Dump some salt and/or pepper onto it, keeping in mind that it's going to compete with about 10 cups of fluid as well as other things..
3. Heat the rest of the oil in your soup pan. Golden up the garlic. Then, add the chicken, with spices, and let it fry for a couple minutes.
4. Sprinkle the creamed coconut into the hot chicken stock and stir until it dissolves. Or, just add both in with the chicken, I doubt it matters and it saves a pan. Up to you. Add the lemon/lime juice, peanut butter and noodles (it says thread egg noodles. I obviously used spaghetti. PF Changs uses spaghetti type noodles, too, so don't judge me.)
5. Add the shredded carrot, and just about everything else other than scallions/green onion, and the cilantro. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. In a dry pan, heat the shredded coconut and the cut up peppers until the coconut browns lightly. Make up some bowls, add this coconut mixture, and eat it -- immediately. It's FANTASTIC with the coconut!

No comments:

Post a Comment