Sunday, September 25

Summer Tomato Soup: Recipe

I wanted to make something that, A: matched the season a bit and B: could go with the temperature. I get a lot of comments about making soup over the summer. 'But, Mel, it's hot out. It's not soup season yet!' Why not? Because soup is supposed to be hot, heavy, full of things like beans and beef and potatoes?

Any how, here's the recipe. Enjoy!

It says it serves 4. I'm assuming it does.
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 large onion, chopped.
1 carrot, chopped.
2 1/4 pounds ripe, quartered tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, chopped.
3 sprigs of fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
4-5 sprigs fresh marjoram, or 1/4 teaspoon dried (I might use a combination of dill and savory, because I ran out of marjoram and don't feel like buying more right this second.)
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons of creme fraiche, or sour cream, or plain yogurt, plus a little more for garnish
Salt and ground pepper

1: Heat the olive oil in a large, preferably stainless steam saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add the onion and carrot and cook over medium heat, or until just soft, stirring occasionally.
2: Add the quartered tomatoes, chopped garlic and herbs. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
3: Discard the bay leaf. Strain the soup, stir in the cream/yogurt and season. Leave to cool, then chill it in the fridge.
Note: it says here that you can use oregano instead of marjoram, and parsley instead of thyme.

Considering we're supposed to eat this in about seven hours, I think I'll get to it now to give it time to cool off. I hope it's good enough for dinner; it's supposed to be hot and stormy this afternoon, so I can't see why this wouldn't be a good idea. I think I may even do grilled cheese. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment