Monday, September 19

Soup grader: Butternut Squash Bisque

This will be the most recent post each time. It will be updated after recipes are posted. The categories will be:
  • Flavor
  • Texture
  • Cooking ease
  • Price
  • Estimated healthiness
  • Creativity of the recipe
  • Completeness 
Out of 70 points.

Flavor: 9/10. It's subtle, not sweet, and addictive. The more you eat the more you want. I'm not patting myself too hard on the back here by saying it came out really well. Maybe I just chose a good squash, who knows, but good grief it was good.

Texture: 10/10. I used a stick blender to pulverize everything into a nice, smooth soup. It worked well, and saved me a mess of a food processor. I'm not grading this on the cleanup, obviously, but the cook time on the stove was just right for smoothing out the veggies.

Cooking ease: 9/10. Ever cut up a butternut squash? It sucks. I cut myself twice: once with a potato peeler, which is just my own stupidity, and once with a knife. Be sure to have a very sharp knife -- a veggie knife, you know, one of those hulks of a straight blade -- and put your weight into it. Then again, I'm small, so that may be the problem, but it was definitely good for my upper arms.

Price: 10/10. I think I collectively  spent about 20 bucks, and that's after buying a Costco-sized thing of butter. I ran out of butter, and it was called for. This doesn't yield as much as the apple soup (perhaps about 10-12 full breakfast bowls) but it doesn't call for as much to put in it, either.

Estimated healthiness: 8.5/10. Butternut squash is incredibly good for you. If you nix out the cream and salt, this soup is definitely amazing. Pepper, paprika and potato are all good for you in their own way. Downside is, I think there's a lack of fiber (we're all stuck on this fiber craze) and healthy fats, but I could be wrong. This is why I'll analyze it sometime later.

Creativity: 8.5/10. It's butternut squash soup. GREAT fall dinner. Goes with a lot of things, or as a main course. Not everyone has eaten it -- not all my friends had really even heard of that squash, so it definitely has the appeal of seeming like a snazzy soup. It has a unique flavor, which adds to the appeal. It's not as exotic as Berry Soup, or Apple, but it is a good American staple that we can't overlook.

Completeness: 10/10. I can't imagine adding anything else to it. It would make it seem commercialized if I did (like sweetening or salting it down). Leave it as is, it's perfectly fine.

Total: 65/70 (93%). Loved this. It was fast, people loved eating it, and I had very little to clean up. Lots of chopping, but what soup isn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment