Monday, September 19

How this is working out

I'm in the nutrition department at Clemson University, hoping to eventually become an R.D. We get to play around with the food in the kitchen, study why fats melt sometimes and sometimes they don't, that sort of thing. There's a computer program that, if you input your ingredients, will give you a run-down of what's in it - contents of EVERYTHING, if you wish.

I'm taking this opportunity to play around with it. I want to cook 13-15 soups, one a week, and see how they are. My husband has a gaming group show up on Sundays, and I experiment on them. We've had two meals, one soup, and both went over well, so I don't think they're very objective, but if they flat-out hate it then I know I have a problem. :P  I'll make it as the recipe says in The Soup Bible, from Debra Maybew. There's about 2 million different soups in there, so I think I can find 15..
Anyway, after all this is said and done, I'm going to see if I can find any improvements. Or, I'm going to see if I can flat-out replace an ingredient, or cut down on it somehow, if it's just a showboat of unhealthiness.

Why? Cause I can. I am not obsessed with health and nutrition, but I think it can be integrated into every day cooking a lot easier than some people think. I'm not worried about losing weight, or about my heart health, or any of that mess right now, but the more I know about different recipes the better suited I'd be to suggesting them to patients, if it came to that. Why would I tell them that living their lives out by eating a cardboard-based diet would be better than a quadruple bypass? That's not fair. Food, no matter what the requirement out of it, should find a way to be tasty, so I'm here to give my first shot at this. With soup. Lots, and lots of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment