Monday, September 19

First Soup: Apple

Okay. I made this almost exactly as it says, but I can't find German cabbage, or whatever it is. I didn't substitute, I left it out. This leads me to believe you can alter this with whatever veggie you'd like.
Also, there's a lot of cream involved, and I'm sure it'd be fine as a cream-free soup. It's up to you. It is, however, very, very tasty.
It also says it serves six. I gave it to six people. I still have enough to do it again (and maybe a few bowls after that). So, if you go by the recipe, have a lot of freezer-ready containers. =)

Prep time: about 10 minutes. Cook time? About an hour.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons oil (I used olive)
1 Kohlrabi, diced (this is the thing I have no idea where to find)
3 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 bell pepper (it says green; I used yellow, it was still tasty)
2 tomatoes, diced
2 1/4 quarts chicken stock (I used the lowest-sodium one I could find)
6 large green apples
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used wheat cause I didn't have white)
2/3 c heavy cream
2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
salt, ground pepper
lemon wedges and a crusty bread (I used cheesy bread. IT WAS AMAZING.)

*1 tablespoon sugar*  

Instructions:
1. Chop up all the things into bite sized cubes.

2. In a large soup pot (big is good; I had to switch pots halfway through) add the oil, the kohlrabi, carrots, celery, green pepper and tomatoes and fry for 5-6 minutes. I let them lightly sizzle, myself.

3. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 45 minutes.

4. After 45 minutes, add the apples and let them cook for about 15 minutes, or until they're the consistency you like. I didn't peel them, and it was tasty. It says to peel, so that's up to you.

5. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and the cream, and then slowly stir it into the soup, while stirring, and bring it to a boil again. Add the sugar* and the lemon juice before seasoning. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and the crusty bread.


I'll start taking photos when I serve it, just for effect, I guess. I can't find a photo online of what this turns out to look like, but it's tasty. And a bit yellow. I still have some in the freezer, so I'll stick a shot of a bowl up next time I want an easy lunch =)

No comments:

Post a Comment