Monday, July 9

Rosemary bread: updated

This is what I call my 'stuff I sometimes need to go grab' spice rack. It's got stuff I don't use quite as often..

So, I've been told I don't take enough photos.

This is my 'I use this almost all the time' spice rack, complete with Italian seasonings, curries, steak rubs, etc.
My baker's rack that my sister'n'law gifted us, complete with chips, nuts, bowls, a soup pot I've been known to use quite a bit of; flours, sugars, syrups, corn starch.. you get the idea (and can likely see it)





I've been told I need to photograph my food and such a little more often.


 So, here's some food.

The bread after it's been mixed and had the chance to rise for about 20 minutes.





So, the recipe was as it usually goes:
1 cup warm water with 1tb warmed butter,  2-3 tablespoons of milk (good with buttermilk by the way), 1.5 teaspoons of salt, 1.5 teaspoons of yeast; let that sit for a moment. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil, 1/3 cup of brown sugar and the following spices/herbs at one's leisure:
rosemary, marjoram, basil, oregano, dried lemon peel, dill, parsley, celery seed and thyme. I really think the thyme made it last time.
Add a good handful of almonds (I love the crunch) along with 3 cups of bread flour. Make sure it all mixes in really well.

This is some nicer olive oil with some lemon peel (dried), rosemary, dill and a beaten egg. 




 Take that stuff up there (olive oil with some spices and herbs one likes, plus an egg) and put it on the bread when it's got about 45 minutes left (the time left isn't an issue. 30? Fine. An hour? Fine. But it has to have at least the chance to rise, so make sure it's an hour or less.)
It's also okay if the stuff goes down the sides. Don't go all slap-happy and poke it; I learned that fork-holing the top makes it go all insane (likely due to the salt from the upcoming cheese addition) so..Just let it drip wherever, it's okay.


Then, dust your bread with your favorite cheese. This is parm. I'm sure it's good with anything.
It bakes into a nice, golden color.

This is after the cheese has had some time (20-30 minutes?) to bake into the top of the bread.
This may screw around with how much the bread will rise, but I've not seen a lack of quality, just in size. 

So, I wanted to photograph the bread when it came out, but it got eaten before I had the chance. This is what was left, but there are about three slices (maybe?) left from that. It goes pretty fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment