Tuesday, November 8

Analysis: Thai Coconut Chicken

  • Flavor
  • Texture
  • Cooking ease
  • Price
  • Estimated healthiness
  • Creativity of the recipe
  • Completeness 
Out of 70 points.

Last post for today. =\ Not done..

I must start off by saying that those who don't like coconut came close to ruining it for those that do, but that's okay. The coconut really made this; it's okay without it, but when I tried a bowl that had some in it, well, WOW. :D Toasted coconut must be in the top ten tastiest items ever.

Flavor: 10/10. My husband picked this because of his love for Asian-themed soups. I agreed because I lost my list (still have no idea where it is and I've been winging it since the weekend I made this). It's a little thick, in a good way, and that lends well to the flavors of the noodles and all else.

Texture: 10/10. A few subtle things are going on: the fats are smooth on the tongue, again, with this soup; the coconut is nice and crunchy, but the chicken is nice and soft as it should be. The thyme and cilantro leaves add a little playfulness to the tongue -- you can't actively identify it, but the soup would feel empty without those being there.

Cooking ease: 9.5/10. Chop a few things, cook them in juice, and toast coconut. I took the .5 off just because of the coconut; I burned mine a little. Come to find out, it doesn't matter. No one noticed. I mean, I saw a little smoke, and it still tasted amazing. I tried to be as objective of my own cooking as possible, and I still fell in love with the finished product.

Price: 10/10. I used 10 chicken thighs and a few other cheap little deals to feed 8 people, and I had a little left over. I had some coconut frozen already, so I didn't have to worry about that. Again, cooking a large soup pot was efficient as usual.

Estimated healthiness: 9/10. Cilantro is like a lot of other things: it's healthy. I forget why, but eating it is good. Coconut is a little fatty, so I'd be careful on that end. Garlic is good for the blood. Etc., etc. I'd eat a few soups, for healthiness, over this, but this one isn't terrible.

Creativity: 10/10. I love coconut and chicken and cilantro and garlic all together. It's a great, great, unexpected combination (due to the cilantro, mostly. I could have figured the rest out on my own.)

Completeness: 10/10. The noodles bring that about, and it's a good thing I put them in there. The coconut is the last thing to be added, but you're looking forward to that. The substance is in the noodles moreso than the chicken due to the amount. It worked out extremely well.

I'm rushing. It got a 97.8, or a very high A. I'd eat it next time I'm thinking Asian cuisine -- again, as always, be creative and have fun! /runstoclass

No comments:

Post a Comment